Happy Birthday – Javier Lopez
Here are some Giants Gems for Javier Lopez’s birthday from the 2012 Giants Media Guide – Happy Birthday Javier!
- Father was a career FBI agent, beginning in his native Puerto Rico, then transferring to Washington, D.C., when Javier was 3 years old.
- Javier has a degree in psychology from the University of Virginia. He was drawn to psychology in trying to figure out how to stay consistent in baseball.
- Javier’s wife, Renee, attended the same high school in Fairfax, VA, as Javier (she was class president) and also attended the University of Virginia, where she played soccer. She recently earned a doctorate in psychology from the University of Tennessee. She wrote her dissertation on depression in athletes.
- Lopez still receives Javy Lopez baseball cards in the mail, even though Javy Lopez – a catcher – retired in 2006. The two played briefly together with the Red Sox in 2006, though there was never a Javier Lopez-Javy Lopez battery. Javier pitched to Javy only in the bullpen.
- His childhood aspiration was not to be a baseball player, but an FBI agent in Washington, D.C., like his father.