TODAY’S GAME…The San Francisco Giants visit the Chicago Cubs in the 1st game of this 3-game series…Giants’ left-hander Madison Bumgarner (14-8, 2.93) will face Cubs’ right-hander Chris Volstad (1-9, 6.28).
Here are some Giants Gems for Clay Hensley’s birthday from the 2012 Giants Media Guide – Happy Birthday Clay!
- Graduated from Pearland High School (TX) and went on to attend Lamar College in nearby Beaumont, TX…set a single-season school record with 127 strikeouts in 100.0 innings for Lamar in 2002, going 8-6 with a 2.97 ERA.
- Established a school single-game record with 15 strike- outs against Nicholls State on May 11…during Southland Conference championship, set a new Lamar and SLC Tournament single-game record by striking out 17 Texas- Arlington batters…earned tournament MVP honors.
- Former Giants farmhand rejoins organization after signing one year deal in January…has had up and down career in Majors as he has gone 24-29 with 7 saves and 3.94 ERA (204er, 466.1ip) as starter (49 games) and reliever (162 games) for San Diego (2005-08) and Florida (2010-11).
- Surrendered Barry Bonds’ 755th home run to tie Hank Aaron’s all-time record on July 25, 2007.
- Was originally drafted by Giants in 8th round of 2002 First Year-Player Draft…was then traded to San Diego along with pitcher R.D. Spiehs in exchange for pitcher Matt Herges on July, 13, 2003.
After 50 years, tonight was the last time the Giants will face the Astros as a National League Team.
Tonight was the 16th attempt for the Giants to sweep an opponent this season as we are now 6-10 in games in which they have the chance for a sweep. With the 8-4 win tonight we’ve had 6 sweeps all season (Cubs, Dodgers twice, Astros (twice), Rockies ), with three of those sweeps at AT&T Park and three on the road (at Colorado, at Los Angeles and at Houston). Giants 8 – Astros 4
TONIGHT’S GAME…The San Francisco Giants visit the Houston Astros in the final game of this 3-game series…Giants’ right-hander Ryan Vogelsong (11-7, 2.90) will face Astros’ right-hander Jordan Lyles (3-10, 5.47).
With 4 runs in the first inning and 2 unearned runs in the sixth the Giants won the second game of the series. Giants 6 – Astros 4