Results tagged ‘ Benito Santiago ’
Since 1970 fans have been able to vote their favorite position players and last year Giants fans accepted the challenge and as The Sporting News put it, “MLB All-Star Game 20102: Giants fans know best; their guys lead NL rout”. Voting has started to for the 2013 game so let’s keep the tradition going!
Between John McGraw managing the first All Star Game, to Bruce Bochy managing the next one, 88 players have represented the Giants in the Mid-Summer Classic.
The Giants had 12 All-Star catchers:
- Augustus Mancuso
- Harry Danning
- Ernie Lombardi
- Walker Cooper
- Wes Westrum
- Bob Schmidt
- Ed Bailey
- Tom Haller
- Dick Dietz
- Bob Brenly
- Benito Santiago
- Buster Posey
PROBABLES AND BROADCAST SCHEDULE FOR THE REMAINDER OF THIS SERIES (ALL TIMES PDT) (*if necessary):
- Tuesday, Oct. 16: Workout at Busch Stadium (Times TBA)
- Wednesday, Oct. 17 at St. Louis (1:07): RHP Kyle Lohse (1-0, 2.13) vs. RHP Matt Cain (1-1, 5.06) – FOX, ESPN Radio
- Thursday, Oct. 18 at St. Louis (5:07): TBA vs. TBA – FOX, ESPN Radio
- *Friday, Oct. 19 at St. Louis (5:07): TBA vs. TBA – FOX, ESPN Radio
- *Sunday, Oct. 21 vs. St. Louis (1:45): TBA vs. TBA – FOX, ESPN Radio
- *Monday, Oct. 22 vs. St. Louis (5:07): TBA vs. TBA – FOX, ESPN Radionote: all postseason games broadcast on KNBR radio (English)/home games and World Series contests broadcast on KTRB 860 ESPN Deportes
Game 2 of the NLCS was kicked off by Tim Flannery singing the National Anthem with Phil Lesh and Bob Weir from the Grateful Dead and Benito Santiago throwing the ceremonial first pitch.
The final Friday home game each year is dedicated to one of the Giants greats – Willie McCovey. Since 1980, the award is awarded to the Giants player who exemplifies the spirit and leadership shown by Willie throughout his career. This years award will be presented during a pre-game ceremony on Friday, September 21.
In 2008, to celebrate our 50th anniversary in San Francisco we installed a timeline on the View Level at the ballpark which highlighted some of our great players and amazing moments. We know that all of our fans are not able to come to a game at the park, or those who do may not be old enough to remember some of our alumni. For this road trip we decided to showcase the timeline and give everyone a bit more information about the moments. One banner, lots of recent memories are highlighted here.
It’s been a great Sunday! Members of the 2002 team turned out to be honored during a pre-game ceremony.