Results tagged ‘ Gaylord Perry ’
Game 1 of the 2012 World Series brought San Francisco Playoff Fever to a new level. Considering it was the second time in World Series history that 3 Cy Young Award winners pitched in the same game and Pablo Sandoval tied the WS record with 3 home runs in the game San Franciscans had a reason to celebrate.
The winners of each week’s tournament will be published in the 2013 Giants Yearbook.
Results for Pre-Game Festivites:
Hall Of Famers 39.76%
Fly By 60.24%
Players and Giants Alumni alike had a great time along the 1.7 mile Parade Route to the Civic Center.
An exciting pregame ceremony kicked off Game 1 of the 2012 Fall Classic today.
- MasterCard donated $4.1 million to Standup 2 Cancer
- The teams were introduced and lined up
- Phillip Phillips sang the National Anthem followed by a ceremonial fly over
- Orlando Cepeda, Willie McCovey, Willie Mays and Gaylord Perry threw the first pitch
- Robb Nen and a member of the Boys and Girls Club presented the game ball
- Omar Vizquel said “play ball”
Here are some Giants Gems for Gaylord Perry’s birthday from the 2012 Giants Media Guide – Happy Birthday Gaylord!
1st pitcher in baseball history to win Cy Young Award in both American and National Leagues, fashioned 134-109 record with 2.96 ERA for Giants from 1962-71…ranks 2nd in SF annals for wins, ERA, games started (283), complete games (125), shutouts (21), innings pitched (2,294.2) and strikeouts (1,606)…5-time 20-game winner and 5-time All-Star is 1 of only 4 pitchers in SF history to win 100 games with club…24-year veteran is 17th all-time with 314 wins, and is 1 of 7 pitchers ever to compile 300 wins and 3,500 strikeouts…