Results tagged ‘ Steve Edlefsen ’
Here are some Giants Gems for Clay Hensley’s birthday from the 2012 Giants Media Guide – Happy Birthday Clay!
- Graduated from Pearland High School (TX) and went on to attend Lamar College in nearby Beaumont, TX…set a single-season school record with 127 strikeouts in 100.0 innings for Lamar in 2002, going 8-6 with a 2.97 ERA.
- Established a school single-game record with 15 strike- outs against Nicholls State on May 11…during Southland Conference championship, set a new Lamar and SLC Tournament single-game record by striking out 17 Texas- Arlington batters…earned tournament MVP honors.
- Former Giants farmhand rejoins organization after signing one year deal in January…has had up and down career in Majors as he has gone 24-29 with 7 saves and 3.94 ERA (204er, 466.1ip) as starter (49 games) and reliever (162 games) for San Diego (2005-08) and Florida (2010-11).
- Surrendered Barry Bonds’ 755th home run to tie Hank Aaron’s all-time record on July 25, 2007.
- Was originally drafted by Giants in 8th round of 2002 First Year-Player Draft…was then traded to San Diego along with pitcher R.D. Spiehs in exchange for pitcher Matt Herges on July, 13, 2003.
Here are some Giants Gems for Steve Edlefsen’s birthday from the 2012 Giants Media Guide – Happy Birthday Steve!
- At age four, was a batboy for the Miesville Mudhens near his hometown of Bloomington, Minnesota. His father, Brad, pitched for the team. Brad also played in the Atlanta Braves organization.
- Played shortstop and pitched at Jefferson High in Bloomington, where he hit .392 as a senior. He stopped pitching altogether and became a full-time infielder at Barton County Community College in Great Bend, Kansas, and at the University of Nebraska. On April 11, 2006, he hit for the cycle and had a Hawkeyes’ record-tying six –hit game in extra innings.
- Made his Major League debut August 21, 2011, in Houston. Entered the game in the fifth inning with runners on the corners and two outs. He struck out Clint Barmes to get the Giants out of the inning. He gave the strike-out ball to his father, who along with Steve’s mother Christine flew in to watch the game.
TONIGHT’S GAME…The San Francisco Giants visit the San Diego Padres in the 1st game of this 3-game series…Giants’ right-hander Tim Lincecum (2-6, 5.82) will face Padres’ right-hander Anthony Bass (2-5, 4.00).
TURN BACK THE CLOCK… The Giants and Cubs wore replica uniforms from 1912 today… Some elements from today’s turn back the century game include:
• The scoreboard had a vintage look and videos were not shown.
• There was a roving barber shop quartets outside the gates.
• Giants photographers, ushers, security guards, grounds keepers and other staff wore 1912 era garb.
• Only organ music was played the entire game.
TONIGHT’S GAME…The San Francisco Giants visit the Miami Marlins in the 1st game of this 4-game series…Giants’ right-hander Ryan Vogelsong (2-2, 2.27) will face Marlins’ right-hander Anibal Sanchez (2-2, 2.32).
TODAY’S GAME…The San Francisco Giants host the Oakland Athletics in the middle game of this 3-game series…Giants’ right-hander Ryan Vogelsong (1-2, 2.66) will face A’s right-hander Tyson Ross (2-3, 6.25).